In order to begin my project I needed to find different charities that would be willing to accept me as a volunteer.
I started with the internet and found some volunteer opportunities that interested me like: Hugs for humanity, and the Humane society. So I refined my search to helping people. The reason for this is because I want to see what my time, mind and out look on life can do to help others. I don’t want to collect money I just want to understand what some human interaction can do to put a smile on someone’s face. I believe the best way to cheer yourself up is to make some one else smile. Can I truly inspire others? Will people listen to my ideas learn from them, even if they don’t agree with them? Will they give me a chance?
So I e-mailed hugs for humanity but sadly they never got back to me. After two e-mails and a couple of days wait I decided to move on. This was only a minor set back that was not to be taken personally. So I asked my friends and family what else I could do. My friend Julie told me that she spent her time at Canterbury on the Lake. She gave me a representatives e-mail and her recommendation of me to the organization.
I e-mailed Kathy Krause and she e-mailed me back the next day to tell me about the living facility for the elderly and that she would like to interview me for a chance to spend my time there. When I called she was out of town so I left a message. Afterwards she called back and we set up an interview for Friday, June 25th at 10:45am.
I’m very excited about this opportunity and the chance to experience my first interview. I’m also pretty nervous but I'm sure I’ll do fine. I certainly appreciate this opportunity and I think she'll see that when we meet tomorrow. Between my professional look and attitude and prepared resume hot off the printer I feel ready to wake up and get going (before I’ve even fallen asleep).
Wish me luck! I'll be sure to tweet about the experience tomorrow!
-Love Melanie Lynn Caples
No comments:
Post a Comment