Saturday, June 26, 2010

My Interview

My interview at Canterbury on the Lake went so much better then I expected.

So, I went in and the lobby was beautiful, with all old fashioned furniture that I later came to find out has all been donated by the inhabitants of the community. I think the lobby intimidated me even more then I originally was walking in.

I filled out my application and then met with Kathy Krause. She was a very nice lady full of enthusiasm for her job. When I gave her my resume she seemed happily surprised to see I had one. She simply asked me about my hobbies and what times I could come in. Before I knew it she was assigning me three different jobs that I will be performing two days a week.

On Tuesdays I will go in at 1:00pm and go to every room to offer the residents books, DVD’s, CD‘s, and different types of puzzle games that they can check out for a week. After I go to every room on the first two levels I then go to the bingo hall to help out. This should take anywhere from two hours to four. On Thursdays I will go in at 9:00am, and on these days I will be escorting the elderly to their hair appointments at the salon that they have in the community.

Kathy then gave me a tour of the entire community and its much bigger then I expected. Inside they have three different levels of living. These consist of 74 independent living apartments, 39 assisted living apartments, and a 140 bed health care facility. It also contains a chapel, hair salon, dentists/hand, foot, ect. doctors office, three restaurant type food serving areas, and recreational rooms. So as you can imagine its going to take some time to remember where everything is.

I'm very excited for this opportunity and cannot wait to begin my work! I feel so far the most important thing to remember is that I’m in their house. This is where they live, so being polite and energetic is going to be the most important thing during this experience.

--Melanie:)

No comments:

Post a Comment