My first day at Canterbury was today! :D I think I did amazing and I absolutely loved it!
Well first things first I only got lost once, so that’s always good. I only had to ask two people where I needed to be.
I went in, signed in and met with Kathy. She brought me to the room where I got the cart that I needed to bring the books, CD's and puzzles around to all of the residents of the assisted living portion of the community.
I went to every room but twelve or so residents were out to picnic for lunch. A few of the residents were busy doing other things. But the majority were there and allowed me into their rooms. Only one man took out a CD.
One lady let me in and we talked for twenty minuets about her family. Sadly she's blind and is forming Dementia. This is why she couldn't check out any books but she was glad I could come in to talk with her and she said shed be looking forward to me coming next week.
The reason most of the residents didn’t take out books is because they aren’t used to me coming to their homes. I'm hoping once I start coming regularly they will begin to open up and take out books they’d like.
After this adventure I went to the bingo hall and helped mark off some peoples bingo cards and then helped with cleaning up. I met a very sweet older lady during this too. This is the conclusion of my first day.
I wont be able to say any names of the people I have met living in the community because of the HIPPA law. This law states that anyone working in the medical field can not divulge medical information about any patient. When I speak of residents I will only write pronouns in place of their names.
--Melanie Lynn
Melanie:
ReplyDeleteI think your doing a great job writing about your experience. It takes a lot for people to break out of their comfort zones and give of their time to experience something new. Keep up the good work!
-Janet