Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What I Feel I Have Accomplished So Far.

I love helping people out, it really gives me a sense of purpose. I failed to mention that befor this whole endeavor, I continued to be an e-mail pen pal with two different men that were deployed over seas. They Greatly appreciated my time and loved hearing from somone living back home. Both are safely out of the war now. One is currently living in Michigan and the other in Florida.

This wasn't any burden on me. It took only a small amount of time to wirte the letters and it was just like having a conversation with one of my friends or family members. The difference was to see the reactions I got from this simple converstion, that gave me an amazing feeling. I believe that no matter your feelings on a war the U.S. is in we as citizens should always support our soldiers. They are giving years of their lives, to protect ours. This is worthy of at least appreciation from the people they are serving. I'm hoping to find more men or women that are in need of some human communication.

At Canterbury I have made a handful of people. I believe, truly happy over the three days I have been there so far. This makes me truly happy to see that I've made even the smallest difference in someone's life.

One woman that I sat down and talked to for over twenty minutes told me that she has no one to talk to because her family is busy and lives a couple hours drive away. She explained how glad she was to have someone to talk to and how she couldn't believe that at my age I was willing to give my time. But, that is truly what I live for is to help people and change their lives if only for a couple seconds. Just long enough to send a smile their way.

I met another lady who told me a very unfortunate story about her life (That I think she would rather i didn't broadcast to the world). But, she gave me advice that I will never forget. You have to set goals in your life and know what you want to accomplish. Planning your life out isn't necessary, but to set goals that you want to accomplish and having structure of how to carry out those plans will keep you going where you want to get in life.

What I want to accomplish during this project is to get the chance to see what my time and only my time can do to help people and so far my time has created smiles and cured loneliness for at least a short amount of time. It has not only given to others but its provided me with a simulation of a working environment and has shown me that things aren't as difficult as they may first seem.

I'm very excited to see that my time and mind will lead to next! I'm sure it will lead to many lasting memories and learning experiences.

--Melanie Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment